[mythtv-users] HD-PVR issues (mythffmpeg and getcutlist) with MythArchive 0.26

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sun Oct 21 17:39:49 UTC 2012

On 21/10/12 17:52, Will Dormann wrote:
> After running MythTV 0.24 for a while, I've finally decided to take the
> plunge and upgrade Mythbuntu and MythTV to the latest version.  I'm
> currently running: 2:0.26.0+fixes.20121020.
>
> About 2 years ago I made a patch to mythburn.py to 1) manually re-encode
> hd-pvr recordings to be DVD compatible 2) extract the cutlist to remove
> commercials etc. from that transcoded file before burning.
>
> With the latest version of MythArchive, I'm seeing two issues:
>
> 1) mythffmpeg just returns an exit code of 1 without giving any error or
> other indication of something being wrong.  My initial solution was to
> just replace "mythffmpeg" with "ffmpeg" in mythburn.py.   This
> successfully burned an HD-PVR recording to DVD!   Further investigation
> of the problem narrowed it down to the "-target dvd" parameter to
> mythffmpeg.   There's no status updates written to the terminal, but it
> does indeed encode.    Why would "-target dvd" cause mythffmpeg to fail?
>    The test commandline I'm using is:
>
> mythffmpeg -threads 4 -v 1 -i
> "/var/lib/mythtv/livetv/2339_20121021154630.mpg" -r ntsc -target dvd -b
> 9000k -s 720x480 -acodec ac3 -ab 192k -ac 2 -copyts -aspect 16:9 -pass 1
> -passlogfile "/var/lib/mytharchive/temp/work/pass" "/tmp/mythffmpeg.mpg"
> -map 0:0 -map 0:1
>

> 2) Despite setting MythArchive to use the cutlist, the output DVD
> doesn't use the cutlist.   Perhaps MythArchive hasn't caught up to my
> old 0.24 patch yet, or maybe I'm doing something wrong?
>
> My old patch used: mythcommflag --very-quiet --getcutlist -f <filename>
> to get the cutlist and then hand that off to mythtranscode to remove the
> unwanted parts of the video.
>
> However, it seems that as of 0.25, mythcommflag doesn't support
> --getcutlist anymore, and that mythutil should be used instead.
> However, mythutil doesn't seem to support the ability to work specifying
> only a file name, as opposed to a channel ID and start time.
>
> Looking into the 0.26 mythburn.py, it looks like there's some code in
> getFileInformation() that I can use to get the cutlist based solely on
> the file name.   However just to make sure, am I correct that mythutil
> (or any other script) can't get the cutlist directly by specifying a
> file name?
>

> Thanks!
> -WD

Hi Will:  I posted the ffmpeg line that I saw in mytharchive for dvb-t2
to dvd transcoding a few days ago.  That's with 0.25.2.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/530862#530862

It worked - slowly - but I always cut before I get to Mytharchive,  For
HD I use

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythpycutter

It's a bit basic but it's quick and has worked for me.

HTH

John P