[mythtv-users] storage groups

dholtrop at hotmail.com dholtrop at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 20 14:18:21 UTC 2012

Thanks I will give this a try

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Lawton
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2012 4:09 PM
To: Discussion about MythTV
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] storage groups

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 06:25 PM,  <dholtrop at hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 8:03 AM, <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 5:42 AM, <dholtrop at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I have my setup running great but I am eating up my
> > > 1st drive with recordings so I put in another and a
> > > usb 3.0 drive. I set them up so I have permissions
> > > and mounted on boot up. Everything looks good in set
> > > up and it shows that I have the extra space in the
> > > info system status. But when I make a recording they
> > > don’t work.
> > >

> > Are you mounting this in your home directory? If so,
> > mount it somewhere else and make sure the mythtv
> > user/group has write access.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Thomas Mashos
>
> I am a closet linux user and I am not sure how to mount
> it in a different directory

This is how I do it (best done before starting any recordings)

Install MythTv (Mythbuntu) just using a single drive - sda
as below.  Then quit both the frontend & the backend.

I have 3 drives :-
System (sda) swap (sda1), / ext4 (sda2) /home xfs (sda3)
Recordings1 (sdb1) xfs
Recordings2 (sdc1) xfs

On / create Recordings folder, then change user & group.

sudo mkdir Recordings
sudo chown -R mythtv /Recordings
sudo chgrp -R mythtv /Recordings

Then create 2 subfolders

sudo mkdir /Recordings/Recordings01
sudo chown -R mythtv /Recordings/Recordings01
sudo chgrp -R mythtv /Recordings/Recordings01

sudo mkdir /Recordings/Recordings02
sudo chown -R mythtv /Recordings/Recordings02
sudo chgrp -R mythtv /Recordings/Recordings02

Now mount the drives

sudo mount -t xfs /dev/sdb1 /Recordings/Recordings01
sudo mount -t xfs /dev/sdc1 /Recordings/Recordings02

Restart the backend, and go into setup.
go into Storage Directories>Storage Groups>Default
Using (Add New Directory) add
/Recordings/Recordings01
/Recordings/Recordings02

If you wish, you can delete the mythtv default created
folder, after transferring any existing recordings.

Exit setup, and allow the backend to restart, followed
by the frontend.

HTH

--
Regards,