[mythtv-users] FCC and HDHomerun

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Fri Oct 19 12:05:07 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Ken Mandelberg <km at mathcs.emory.edu> wrote:
> It seems to me that the new FCC rule permitting the cable companies to
> eliminate clear QAM means that the 2 tuner HDHomerun's days are numbered on
> MythTV (and other software DVR's).

For some cable companies, yes, but not for all. I've got WideOpenWest.
When they made the switch to all digital then planned to encrypt it.
They had enough customers complain, and so they did something really
unusual...they listened to their customers. All digital basic cable
channels (SD versions only) are unencrypted QAM. I highly doubt
they'll encrypt the local HD channels.

But if you've got someone like Comcast, then your cable days are
indeed probably numbered.

--
Ron Frazier