[mythtv-users] Force mythtv to always use one input for a particular channel

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 03:56:58 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 8:41 PM, Mary Strimel <mary.strimel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to make mythtv do this? Should I try to create two
> different channel lineups, one of which omits that channel, the other
> which only has that channel?  Or is there some easier way?
> Thanks in advance,
> Mary

I think this will work the way you want: Create two channel lineups,
one for each tuner. Make sure the callsigns match so the scheduler
knows they are the same content. On the lineup for Tuner1, increase
the channel priority of the very strong channel (favor strong channel
on Tuner1), but decrease the input priority for Tuner1. Now the
scheduler will favor Tuner0 for all but the one strong channel.

Input priority is under "5. Input Connections" on the second screen.

Priorities are only relevant to the scheduler, so this doesn't help
with Live TV.

You say you want to force Tuner1 to *only* tune strong channel
(assumes rabbit ears can't receive any other channels)... This is
actually simpler. You don't need to mess with priorities. Create two
channel lineups: One just as you have now minus the strong channel,
and another with only the string channel. Assign the latter to Tuner1.

The technique you should choose depends on what else you can receive
with the rabbit ears. Do you really need to dedicate the tuner to just
one channel?

Tom