[mythtv-users] Cannot max out CPU usage on HLS transcode

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Wed Oct 17 05:07:34 UTC 2012

* On Tue Oct 16, 2012 at 09:59:30AM +0100, Jim Downie wrote:
> I have tried 2 HLS transcode simultaneously and the CPU load rises to
> 60 - 70% so the CPU is able to take the processing - its just that a
> single transcode cannot max out the CPU.
>
> Any other ideas why this is only using 40% of the CPU for a single
> HLS transcode?

I agree with Raymond's assessment in another reply that you may be
running into a limit due to the single threaded decoder.  The encoder
will use up to 8 threads if you set the HTTPLiveStreamThreads setting,
with the default being 2 threads.  I have the code set to use 8 slices
in avformatwriter.cpp which limits the thread usage to 8 even if you
set HTTPLiveStreamThreads higher.

--
Chris