[mythtv-users] 1080i to 1080p Deinterlacing on Backend was Raspberry Pi now ships with 512MB RAM

Scott Knight scott at scottknight.com
Wed Oct 17 03:34:19 UTC 2012

on 10/16/2012 11:00 PM Michael T. Dean carved the following into a
picnic table:
> And, yes, a system that's transcoding everything to H.264 (versus
> storing it in its native recording format) does make for an extremely
> power hungry system.

You have just touched on something I have looked at a few times and
never successfully figured out.  I already have a powerful backend (Xeon
E3) with power to spare because it does other things like hosting VMs
for building MythTV, cloud testing, etc.  It can commflag at 1200+ fps
on 1080i content.  What I have noticed is that 1080i content looks
pretty crappy no matter which deinterlacer I use on the frontends
(mixture of ION, ION2, 9400, GT430 all running VDPAU).  720p content
looks better and Blu-Ray looks stunning without even making the
frontends break a sweat.

Is there a way to take my 1080i recordings and just deinterlace them on
the backend?  I don't care about transcoding out the commercials, don't
care what format they end up in, don't care about disk space, as long as
I can use whatever deinterlace algorithm looks best to my eyes when it's
played.  Maybe I don't understand the limitations of 1080i
deinterlacing, but it seems that with a good enough transcode, the end
result should be somewhere between 720p and Blu-Ray.

Thanks, Scott