[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi now ships with 512MB RAM

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 19:22:29 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> But price of tech is constantly decreasing, and this will spur an even
> greater push for decreasing cost.  I /promise/ you something better will
> come along eventually...  I don't remember anyone on the starship
> Enterprise ever using an RPi.  :)

By that rationale, why purchase or code for anything if something better is
coming along?

>  Second, A C2D will play back 1080p but it won't do it as well as a
>> GPU-offloading solution. You'll get tearing, jitter, and overall a
>> somewhat
>> crappy experience. It will "work", but it won't make the wife happy.
>>

> No, tearing and jitter have nothing at all to do with decoding--only with
> rendering.  I use software decode on my AMD Athlon II and render with VDPAU
> (because VDPAU /is/ a great rendering tech--much better than 20+ year old
> Xv and--especially with our current implementations--more efficient than
> OpenGL video rendering).  The VDPAU hardware decode is the least useful
> part of VDPAU given a real processor.  (In other words, I love PAU, but
> don't want or need VD.*** :)
>
> If you're getting tearing and jitter and a somewhat crappy experience, the
> problem isn't software decoding or the CPU...

I will defer to you, because I have no idea the difference between decoding
and rendering. But it sounds to me that you're offloading /some/ of the
playback duties from your Athlon to your VDPAU device, which somewhat
defeats your earlier assertion that a Core 2 Duo was 'good enough' (and I'm
massively paraphrasing here).