[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi now ships with 512MB RAM

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 19:08:05 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 3:54 AM, Richard Morton
<richard.e.morton at gmail.com> wrote:
> Have any of you used xbmc on a r-pi?
> All the people I know that bought them for this purpose gave up on them not
> because it can't playback the video but because the UI was tortuous to
> navigate. Before asking people to write complex code I suggest a few people
> give it a try with a large database of media and report back....

IMHO this is incorrect, it can be a little slow around the menus but
video plays fine, including h264, SD xvid using the CPU. Haven't tried
mpeg2 as I don't really have much of that.

As to whoever suggested transcoding SD xvid stuff to h264, why??? Most
xvid stuff is SD and the pi can handle that in CPU. Also transcoding
involves decoding as well as encoding, so once you have decoded, why
not just send it to the screen instead of encoding to h264 and then
decoding to the screen???