[mythtv-users] mpegts recordings latm remover

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Mon Oct 15 21:33:12 UTC 2012

This could be of interest to users trying lossless_cut.py in countries
using dvb-t HD broadcasts. (NZ, Aust, UK & Europe)

This is script is only useful if your recordings have latm-aac streams
that you wish to/have to retain.

Background:
The mkvtoolnix programs do not support latm-aac muxed ts files.
Lossless_cut uses mkvmerge from mkvtoolnix.
I wanted to selectively remove latm muxing from recordings & only
transcode the AAC audio leaving all other streams untouched.
The recordings needed to still play in MythTV & directly by TVs etc.

The attached script is a simple ffmpeg cmd wrapper not a user-job yet,
so lots of user file manipulation required.
The script contains a recommended workflow to get best result.
The script works best run before using cutlist editor etc.
There is a 1-2 keyframe offset in cutlist points if you do things in the
wrong order.

Problem:
The lossless_cut.py process is making mkv files that report incorrect
frame rates. (reports 50fps should be 25fps/50fields-per-sec).
This files are playable/seekable/watchable.

I intend to make a user-job version that will allow recording
backup/replacement & rebuild seektable etc.

Brett.