[mythtv-users] Cannot max out CPU usage on HLS transcode

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Mon Oct 15 15:36:42 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Jim Downie
<Jim.Downie at sigmaseven.co.uk> wrote:
> I have disabled hyper threading (so only 6 cores available to Ubuntu 12.04) and am monitoring the performance through i7z.
>

> What this shows is that the CPU core frequencies predominantly stay low during HLS transcode (it can go up to 4.1GHz) and the thermal monitors show 40 degrees C (5 degree rise from no load) - it looks like it is using 30% of the available cpu's .

The HLS transcoding is done by mythtranscode. Since mythtranscode also
is a user job app, it could be that it's obeying the CPU load limit
setting in user job configuration screen of mythtv-setup. I seem to
recall 30% being the limit for the Low setting.

--
Ron Frazier