[mythtv-users] adding files from elsewhere to myth

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Oct 14 22:50:31 UTC 2012

On 10/14/2012 06:47 AM, Anthony Giggins wrote:
>>> This sounds great! I too, have been importing stuff into Watch
>>> Recordings, because I haven't really liked the Video Library.
>> My only wish with regard to this would be that mythtv could be aware that
>> a particular episode was imported and somehow know not to record it again.
>>   I know it would be hard because the metadata wouldn't necessarily line up
>> with the recording rules... but if that could be overcome (perhaps by doing
>> metadata searches on scheduled recordings and comparing to previously
>> imported episodes) it would be pretty awesome.
> I get around this today with a modified version of mythmediamonitor
> http://nowsci.com/mythmediamonitor/
>
> Which also inserts into the oldrecorded table.
>
> but glad to hear built in support is coming in the future.

But there's no possible way that mythmediamonitor would be able to pull
the same (TMS-copyrighted) description, and it shouldn't be able to pull
the TMS-proprietary (not-for-external-use) DataDirect Program IDs, so
you'd have to use hacks like "subtitle-only" duplicate matching--and
hope that the subtitles are identical in the TMS data and on the
metadata site (and I've seen /many/ that aren't).  That means you'd lose
the performance advantage you get from using pre-computed ID matching
versus string matching (so it would increase your scheduler run times).

Mike