[mythtv-users] MythExpress, a browser based mythtv client

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Fri Oct 12 12:23:29 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

With the first generation of services-based clients now trickling out I’d like to join the party and share a little project I have been working on the past while: it’s a web based interface to myth’s http streaming feature. I originally wrote it as an exercise to learn the nodejs/expressjs platform but over time I have come to find it quite useful and I’m thinking perhaps a few folks in the community might as well.

The project files are at https://github.com/MythTV-Clients/MythExpress and it’s not too hard to set up.

There is a catch however: you have to patch & build your own myth. Node’s bonjour package doesn’t get along with the service type myth uses so you have to apply the patch for ticket #10773. Sorry about that, package users. From my limited testing it looks like Apple Safari is the only browser guaranteed to work although other WebKit products might function and FireFox seems to do OK too. Internet Explorer is a total non-starter.

If you do make use of the app I’d be curious to know if you find it intuitive. The main design goal is to suit my whims but I’m still interested if my decisions are on the right track. Also, I welcome constructive criticism from any node/jquery/html5 experts out there. I’m aware of a number of shortcomings but fresh eyes might see things I haven’t.

- George

P.S. I’d like to thank Chris Pinkham for arranging my shot at stardom. Or infamy.