[mythtv-users] How to help the mythtv community ( was Re: Live TV interfering with scheduled recordings)

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Thu Oct 11 14:59:33 UTC 2012

* On Thu Oct 11, 2012 at 02:26:18PM +0200, Stefan D wrote:
> Myth is big with too few developers not thinking all the parts of Myth is fun.

You forgot a period in there after the word 'developers'.  That's the
main issue, that we have too few (active) developers.  The main reason
is not that some of us don't think that certain parts of the code aren't
'fun'.  With a limited amount of time, a given developer can only
get a limited amount of coding done.  He can either focus on a few items
or attempt to focus on a multitude of items and not get any of them
done (in a reasonable time).  It's also easier to test and debug features
that you actually use.  In some cases, it's impossible for a developer to
work in all areas.  For instance, since I live in the U.S., I can't
easily test DVB or BBC iplayer integration.

We're looking for good developers who submit good code that we don't
have to review for correctness and check compliance to our coding
standards and who also generally get along with the group.  If people
are actively involved with MythTV, and submitting good patches, we'll
consider them for commit access.  We don't necessarily want someone
who comes in every 6-12 months and submits a huge patch which we have
to spend hours correcting coding errors and formatting issues,
especially if that person then isn't heard from for months after that.
We're looking for people active in the MythTV community and are trying
not to be the "by developers for developers" project that we were in
the beginning.  MythTV is 10 years old, many developers have come and
gone, a lot due to life changes (a lot of us have 1-2 kids now taking
up a lot of our time), we're always looking for new developers to help
as the project gets bigger.

I started out this email wanting to put just the first sentence,
"You forgot a period in there after the word 'developers'", but then
decided to write more, because we really would prefer more help, and do
appreciate the patches submitted by users.

--
Chris