[mythtv-users] adding files from elsewhere to myth

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Thu Oct 11 01:06:40 UTC 2012

On 11/10/2012 8:11 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 10/10/2012 04:57 PM, Nick Rout wrote:

>>> It's primarily been deprecated because MythTV now has a very-capable
>>> place
>>> for including user-provided/user-managed content:  the Video
>>> Library.  Now
>>> that Video Library has full support for metadata and metadata grabbing
>>> (including fan art, banners, covers, ...), there's not a lot of
>>> reason to
>>> allow users to poke some fake recording information (having to make
>>> up fake
>>> channel and start time and (tons of other)... information) into the
>>> database
>>> to fool MythTV into thinking it had recorded the show.
>>>
>>> If you have other related content in Watch Recordings that you want
>>> grouped
>>> with your non-recording content, just move the real recordings to Video
>
>>> Library, too.
>>>
>>> And, since Video Library allows the user to organize the content
>>> however he
>>> desires, you actually have /much/ more capability in Video Library
>>> than in
>>> Watch Recordings.  Watch Recordings was really designed as "temporary"
>>> storage for recordings made by this MythTV system, and any other
>>> content
>>> (whether temporary or meant for long-term archival) belongs in Video
>>> Library
>>> (and due to its ability to allow user organization, it's easy enough to
>
>>> separate out the temporary and long-term content in Video Library).
>> So is there a plan to put ALL recordings into the video library?
>> (that's a wee bit what the above sounds like a prelude to.)
>
> MythTV will continue to put recordings into Watch Recordings. Users
> who want to archive recordings long term (and who live in areas where
> doing so is legal) can then choose to move any they want to Video
> Library.
>
> Watch Recordings is good for a first-in/first-out organization of
> recordings that need to be watched to make room for future
> recordings.  Video Library is good for large collections of videos and
> for long-term archival of video.  We won't be losing either of them.

I like the concept of this, but I much prefer the XBMC way that merges
known Movies (whether from Videos or from Recorded TV) into a Movies
category, and organizes TV Shows into Series, separated into season
folders and "one off" shows, (whether the files are located in Videos or
Recorded TV).  You can still access the original structure of Recorded
TV and Videos, but have additional access via "TV Shows" and "Movies"