[mythtv-users] PVR350 problems with Myth 0.25.2

Dave Pearson lists at the-pearsons.co.uk
Wed Oct 10 04:20:41 UTC 2012

-----Original message-----
From:Tim Scholl <tascholl at gmail.com>
Sent:Tue 09-10-2012 21:50
Subject:Re: [mythtv-users] PVR350 problems with Myth 0.25.2
To:Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>;

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 9:20 PM, George Mari <george_mythusers at mari1938.org <mailto:george_mythusers at mari1938.org> > wrote:
 On 10/04/2012 08:38 PM, George Mari wrote:

 [deleted]

 OK I've finally gotten around to replacing the bad capacitors on my
 PVR-350.

 After about 24 hours, the good news is that the ghosting and flashing
 seem to be gone.  I'm still keeping it well ventilated for a while
 longer, just to be sure.

 The bad news is that the ivtv driver just decided to unload/re-load
 itself again.

 So I guess I am back in the camp of suffering from the same problem as
 some others seem to be.  I don't know if it's a combination of this
 kernel, and Fedora release (17) or what, but it's no fun having to
 baby-sit the backend and re-load the driver when it dies.

 [deleted]

 Ok, so after a recording last night, the flashing of the top 15% of the image has returned - this is after I replaced the bad capacitors.  (No image ghosting, so that must have been related to the bad capacitors.)

 My theory now is that after some instances where the driver get's reloaded, the backend is still able to use the device, but sometimes it gets in a weird state where the recorded image has this flashing along the top edge.

 Most of time for me (9 times out of 10) the driver reloading meant that the card could no longer be used for recording.  I've only seen the flashing 2 or 3 times since I've started having trouble about a month ago.  Stopping the backend and unloading/reloading the ivtv driver fixed the problem, temporarily, until the kernel decided that the firmware had failed had needed to be reloaded.

 Interestingly enough, the driver re-load never seemed to happen during a recording - always in-between recordings.

 For now, I have configured one of the analog encoders on my HVR-2250 and hooked up my DirecTV box to it, taking the PVR-350 out of commission for now until I can resolve the problem.

So the question really becomes is it an ivtv driver or a myth problem, and how do we get a resolution?

--
Tim Scholl

My feeling is that it's an ivtv driver problem as I was able to observe the same flashing of the top 15% of the image when I ran "mplayer /dev/video0 -"

How we resolve that is a question for a better man than me :-(

Regards,

Dave.