[mythtv-users] SSD disk for DB

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 15:36:04 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> [...]

*Chuckle* Ok, I'll stand publicly corrected, even though I've been in the
industry ALMOST as long as you have old man! :) (Working on 20 here
myself...not sure how I missed RAM based "SSD" devices, other than none of
the Fortune 500's I've worked for in that time have used them).

That said (and not to bring this topic even farther off track but I guess I
will anyway), given the prices you're talking about and the sizes ($1400 -
2500 for 4 - 8g models of RAM Based SSDs on a quick Google Search), even
the concept of using one of those in a myth based back-end right now would
be pretty silly.  The cost/benefit analysis for using a RAM based SSD to
speed up your myth tv database would be somewhat akin to swatting flies
with howitzers...but I acknowledge the existence of the devices.

So, in my defense I'll throw up the "I didn't figure you knew what you were
talking about since the entire idea would be utterly impractical in a
consumer based device" defense. :)

Carry on :)

--Doug