[mythtv-users] SSD disk for DB

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Tue Oct 9 14:02:28 UTC 2012

> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> I am configuring my new backend, and want to know your opinion about
> >> put the DB on a SSD disk.
> >>
> >> This is a small 8GB disk, is this a good idea? I read that if I write
> >> lots of times on a SSD, it use to break faster than a normal disk.
> >
> >     My master backend seems to be much happier on an SSD. The database
> > is much more responsive. I wouldn't go for anything as tiny as 8G for
> > a backend though. You might want to have some room for backups and such.
> >

> Thanks Jedi.
>
> My idea is to store just the DB files on the SSD disk. I am worried
> about the crash of the disk, because it will have lots of writes on a
> day.
>
> The thread is going out off topyc, I am just asking if a SSD is a good
> option for store the DB files.

It should be fine for a good long time.... sure it may not last as long due
to the frequent small writes, but it will likely last long enough to get
your money's worth.

However, many of the same advantages you get from moving it to an SDD can
be had by simply optimizing your DB configuration to cache more data in
RAM.  You would never completely eliminate disk IO this way, so SDD may
still be faster for some operations.