[mythtv-users] Announcement: Looking for Alpha testers for a generic Lossless cut solution

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Mon Oct 8 23:52:52 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-10-08 at 19:29 -0400, Doug Vaughan wrote:
> Nick,
>      Thanks for the clarification. I updated the wiki table to include
> "UK".
>
> With Ubuntu 10.04 I think you will have issues. While testing I was
> going to use Ubuntu 11.04 but would have to had compile MKVToolNix from
> source. A;though I gave it a try it seemed that a number of the compile
> prep-reqs would have been difficult to satisfy so I used Ubuntu 11.10
> and 12.04 in my testing environments. I even tried earlier versions of
> MKVToolNix (e.g. 5.0) but that did not work either. It seems only the
> most recent versions work consistently as indicated in the wiki.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Doug
Please excuse hijacking..

To build mkvtoolnix on 10.04 you need to update the toolchain. This can
be done using ubuntu devs toolchain ppa.

mkvtoolnix does not (didn't recently) support latm AAC.
It also does not support pipes..

This ffmpeg cmd could be useful for testing any mkvtoonix based cutting
tool.
Needs recent ffmpeg with libfaac encoder.
Runs very fast, just as fast as copying file but costs another big temp
file.

ffmpeg -i 1003_20120726190000.mpg -t 200 -map 0 -c copy -c:a:p:0x190
libfaac -s copy -f mpegts out.mpg

This short (-t 200) output file plays okay in MythTV & on current gen
panasonic TV (all audio tracks + dvb-subs & teletext-subs) The recording
did not contain the mheg-5 stream.

Will be testing your lossless cut soln soon.

Thanks.