[mythtv-users] SSD disk for DB

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Oct 8 14:29:34 UTC 2012

On 08/10/12 12:22, Josu Lazkano wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am configuring my new backend, and want to know your opinion about
> put the DB on a SSD disk.
>
> This is a small 8GB disk, is this a good idea? I read that if I write
> lots of times on a SSD, it use to break faster than a normal disk.
>
> I will appreciate your experience on this configuration.
>
> Thanks and best regards.

I would make the distinction here between a Flash disk and a Solid State Disk
(SSD). What you have said above is true for Flash disks like SDHC, Compact
Flash, etc but is not true for SSDs. These can be treated just like a normal
hard disk.

It should be noted that SSDs haven't been around long enough for long-term
reliability patterns to become visible yet but given they run cooler and have no
moving parts I believe they will last at least as long as a traditional disk.

I have just bought three 36Gb SSDs which will be the only drives in two servers
and my main front end. The two I have installed so far have given me no trouble
at all. None of these will have high disk I/O, though.

--

Mike Perkins