[mythtv-users] PVR350 problems with Myth 0.25.2

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Mon Oct 8 01:20:42 UTC 2012

On 10/04/2012 08:38 PM, George Mari wrote:

[deleted]

> OK I've finally gotten around to replacing the bad capacitors on my
> PVR-350.
>
> After about 24 hours, the good news is that the ghosting and flashing
> seem to be gone.  I'm still keeping it well ventilated for a while
> longer, just to be sure.
>
> The bad news is that the ivtv driver just decided to unload/re-load
> itself again.
>
> So I guess I am back in the camp of suffering from the same problem as
> some others seem to be.  I don't know if it's a combination of this
> kernel, and Fedora release (17) or what, but it's no fun having to
> baby-sit the backend and re-load the driver when it dies.

[deleted]

Ok, so after a recording last night, the flashing of the top 15% of the
image has returned - this is after I replaced the bad capacitors.  (No
image ghosting, so that must have been related to the bad capacitors.)

My theory now is that after some instances where the driver get's
reloaded, the backend is still able to use the device, but sometimes it
gets in a weird state where the recorded image has this flashing along
the top edge.

Most of time for me (9 times out of 10) the driver reloading meant that
the card could no longer be used for recording.  I've only seen the
flashing 2 or 3 times since I've started having trouble about a month
ago.  Stopping the backend and unloading/reloading the ivtv driver fixed
the problem, temporarily, until the kernel decided that the firmware had
failed had needed to be reloaded.

Interestingly enough, the driver re-load never seemed to happen during a
recording - always in-between recordings.

For now, I have configured one of the analog encoders on my HVR-2250 and
hooked up my DirecTV box to it, taking the PVR-350 out of commission for
now until I can resolve the problem.