[mythtv-users] MythTV Android Frontend is now available in the Google Play Market

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Mon Oct 8 01:07:00 UTC 2012

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 7:18 PM, Daniel Frey <dmfrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> DF: Once a HLS transcode is kicked off on the backend, we can't immediately
> start the stream.  We are waiting until at least 2 segments have been
> completed before we can start playing the stream.

Since my post, I've done some more research on HLS and I now
understand how it transcodes it into tiny segments to be played back
seemlessly. So you could maybe cut the delay in half by only waiting
for one segment, but I suppose you probably have a good reason (from
trail and error) for waiting for 2. Other than that, like I said, it's
dependent on transcoding speed. Thanks. I'd still love to hear how it
performs for someone using a more modern CPU.

> DF: For right now, I think you will only be able to seek if you kick off the
> live stream and then pause it for a bit.  This is because we kick off the
> live steam transcode on demand.  It is not queued up or stored except for
> the life span of watching the video.  So when the video ends, and you
> navigate back, another command is sent to the backend which terminates the
> live stream transcode and deletes all the temporary files created.

That's inconvenient (though I understand it's entirely out of your
control). The problem is when playback aborts (either through error,
disconnection, or intentionally), there's no way to jump back into the
middle of things.

> DF: Is there something different about your channel numbers? Are they OTA
> channels with special characters in them?  The current sorting is using the
> channel number.

Nope, all my channums are strictly numeric. In my guide (in the
android app), I have the following channel number in this order:
32, 3, 10, 14, 16, 18, 20, 2, 4, 5, then it looks like they are mostly
(but not completely) in order up to 499, then 8, 29, 31, 37, and a
handful of other..

The reason I thought you are doing some sort of sorting by chanid is
because channel 32 (which shows up first in your list) happens to be
the channel with the lowest chanid in my database. However, the next
lowest is 2 but you've got 3 next. So I'm not sure what's going on.

I'm also noticing right now that you have a timezone issue with 0.26
(I just upgraded this afternoon). Starting in 0.26, times are now in
UTC, so you've got midnight showings listed as being on at 8PM.

Also, I'm noticing that the guide displays sort of funky. Its very
difficult to tell where the time's are on the grid. I've got a program
that starts at 8:20, but the way it shows in the grid, it almost looks
to me like it's about 7:45 visually. Programs at 8:30 look like they
are lined up with the 8 PM marker.

--
Ron Frazier