[mythtv-users] Mythtv 0.26-1 have to manual restart mythbackend in order to connect

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Oct 7 20:08:29 UTC 2012

On 10/7/2012 15:36, John wrote:
> OK!  The whole database update was a ruse!  The cause is I believe that the network is not ready when mythbackend starts.
>
> 1) Why did this change with 0.26 when the box has been running fine for years with no modifications?

The only related change is that the main protocol server in mythbackend
terminates, taking the backend with it, when it does not have access to
the IP addresses it was told to listen to. The whole backend should shut
down at that point, but it appears some thread is holding it open.

The previous behavior was that the backend would simply listen to the
addresses that were available at the time of startup, likely just
127.0.0.1 and ::1. Even though you had it configured to listen on
network accessible addresses, such that you could use a remote frontend,
you would be unable to do so until you restarted the backend, and
allowed it to pick up the proper addresses once your init scripts
finished configuring the network.