[mythtv-users] RAID 1 for recordings and livetv

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 19:01:32 UTC 2012

> I am configuring my new backend, I want to know if there is any real
> performance if I create a RAID 1 disk to store the recordings and
> livetv files.

For my mythtv system (that I have used almost 24/7 since 2004 and
version 0.16) I prefer not to raid anything and just use individual
drives in my storage group. I use nagios to watch the SMART data to
make sure they are all in good health so to minimize the chance of any
data loss. When you record multiple recordings at the same time Mythtv
will automatically try to spread the load over different drives in the
storage group. Also since 2009 I replaced my OS / DB drive with an
80GB Intel G1 SSD. That has worked great and has 96% life left in it.

John