[mythtv-users] OTA and attic antenna

Dave Badia dbadia at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 09:46:09 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 12:14 PM, Marc Paré <marc at marcpare.com> wrote:
> I am considering moving from cable to OTA and was wondering if any on this
> list would have any recommendations for an attic antenna.

I use the Eagle Aspen Dtv2Buhf Directv 2-Bay Uhf Antenna in my attic.
I live 15-20 miles from the broadcast towers, but my biggest issue is
that the stations are in exact opposite directions.  After a lot of
experimentation with positioning, I can get reliable signals most of
the year.

But, I do find the signals are affected by the time of year - every
year I lose 2 channels from fall to spring and then signal comes right
back.  I live in the southeast US so snow is not an issue here.  I
have a rather long coax cable run to the attic, my next approach is to
run cat5 up there and put the HDHR in the attic too.  I hope the
shorter coax run will be enough to keep the signal strong all year.

OTA is the best picture you will get - well worth the time spent
setting it up.  Good luck!

Dave