[mythtv-users] MythTV+Mageia2+PowerViewTV card(s)

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 22:11:28 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Marc Paré <marc at marcpare.com> wrote:
> *** Oops, sorry, I forgot to sent this to the list! -- second try and sorry
> for the duplication of messages. ***
>

> Hi Nick,
>
> Le 2012-10-01 16:16, Nick Rout a écrit :
>
> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 11:44 PM, Marc Paré<marc at marcpare.com>  wrote:
>
> Hi John, Nick et all,
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> I have put together my specs again as I had not properly put the fact that I
> would need a PCI card, and, judging from the sites I have gone to, my
> choices are limited. I have also read up a lot more about the Rogers cable
> service (our cable service), and the Rogers analog service will stop for
> everyone by December 31st 2012 -- it will be phased out region by region. We
> are still receiving analog service for now but can switch to digital service
> anytime by calling Rogers. After December 31st, all analog users will no
> longer receive any service and will be forced to get digital.
>
> So, it looks like I should be building a PVR (or would it be a DVR?) for
> digital service.
>
> So here are my specs again with the answer to John's questions:
>
> ==========================
>
> Location: Canada
> Signal: analog soon to be digital for everyone on the service by December
> 31st 2012
> TVCard: presently using PowerView Card with TVTime. MythTV does not
> recognize the card. It is an analog TVCard.
> MoBo: ASRock 775i65g -- 3 PCI slots (NO PCIe SLOTS AVAILABLE)[1]
> RAM: 2 gig (MoBo max)
> Hardrive: SATA 1Tb
>
> Computer OS: Mageia2 Linux (Linux kernel 3.3.8-2)
> MythTV version 0.25
> TVCard replacement: willing to spend up to $200Cdn
>
> One word: HDHomerun. does not need an internal slot, so your old MB
> doesn't matter.
>
> Not sure if a Prime helps you in Canada with Rogers, others will know.
>

> I like the idea of HDHomerun, sounds really neat! I was thinking of also
> just going OTA as my wife says that many of the programmes she watches are
> playable from the network sites. So if enough of her favourite channels are
> on there, then OTA would be a clear option. We would save approximately
> $500/yr. and it would pay for all of the hardware to make the DVR work.
>
> Re: HDHomerun, the description is a little unclear. It says that it turns
> any computer into a DVR, but I imagine that this is only with one tuner
> right? It would not be possible to record 2 programmes at the same time? >

The standard HDHR has two tuners. Each tuner can record as many shows
as are on the mux it is tuned to. - digital TV is broadcast with many
streams (channels) recorded on one carrier frequency. So for each
tuner, you may be able to record 3 or 4 channels at once, provided
your hard drive can keep up. Same with the other tuner.