[mythtv-users] 'apt-get upgrade' broken tuners!

Tim Draper veehexx at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 18:02:06 UTC 2012

I figured it'd be a good idea to do some updates to my server on saturday.
it's a lubuntu 12.04 LTS installation, with mythtv 0.25 installed (BE role
only)
'apt-get upgrade' did a number of updates including mythtv.

at the time i was SSH'd in, but the session timed out mid update, and when
i noticed i left it alone for too long, the putty window displayed a GRUB
update - i ran a 'dpkg' reconfigure option (i forget exactly what it was -
"dpkg -i reconfigure" maybe?), selected the default 'keep existing GRUB
installation', and everything appeared fine.
Rebooted to apply all updates, and everything still seemed fine.

There were a few scheduled recordings since these updates, which all failed
with recorded file size of 0B.

I'm now in the process of figuring out what happened, so checking
/var/log/apt/ files, i see exactly what was updated (it is a bit lengthy):
http://pastebin.com/p2dG7n3T. While i'm at it, here is dmesg:
http://pastebin.com/qcEgnWnB
As you can see, there have been no kernel or header/similar updates, just
general system updates with the apt-get upgrade. i know my TBS card
generally likes to be recompiled when kernels are updated, so kernel
upgrades have been disabled.

dmesg seems to be happy that my 2 tuners are working ok (TBS 6981 dual sat
card, and a Hauppauge DVB USB tuner)
OK, so into mythtv-setup, do a channel scan and i'm unable to find any
channels on either tuner. wiping tuners and re-adding them also exhibits
the same problem.

so, looks like I have tuner issues.

i don't have a vast indepth knowledge of linux (slowly learning!), so i'm
struggling to work out how to get from where i am now (non working tuners),
to a working system again - can anyone help out please?