[mythtv-users] Running mythbackend on a low-power device

Mark Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Fri Nov 30 11:24:32 UTC 2012

On Thursday 29 November 2012 20:33:47 Tortise wrote:

> I've been considering using a Rpi master backend, that connects with a
> hdhomerun (or two?) and some sort of inevitably noisy multi hdd multi TB
> machine out of ear shot in a utility space, preferably with demand power
> control on that machine.
>
> A significant concern expressed previously is that the scheduler is a
> significant run job that may be too big for the pis cpu to handle, which I
> think is about the equivalent of a pentium 400 (?).  It seems if a
> sheevaplug can run the scheduler then a pi should be able to also(?).

I run the scheduler on a Kirkwood without any problems.  It takes longer than
a spiffy new machine.  Just checked my logs and the last run took 11.6 seconds.
This is using an SSD on real SATA (not usb based).  When I ran it on a normal
HD, it took 40-50 seconds.

I'm not sure that I'd like to have my storage on a machine that that powers on
on-demand.  Does anyone do this? I'd worry about lag on viewing.  Does myth
know how to wake storage on demand?

You might need to have your storage box on all the time.   If storage is on a
machine that is on all the time, might as well just run the backend on the
storage machine.

Mark