[mythtv-users] Record sound using a BT848 card

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Nov 29 16:43:16 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 09:41:10PM -0600, Michael Heironimus wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 07:18:58PM +1300, Nick Rout wrote:
> > Yeah sorry I guess many of us just think that card is too old and decrepit,
> > and that your approach to the problem is wrong. However, back on topic, do
> > you have the snd_bt87x module running? I see reference to it here
> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_WinTV-Go
>
> Some of the WinTV framegrabbers can't use snd_bt87x because the audio
> simply isn't connected to anything useful on the card. I have an old
> (mid-2000) WinTV Go that couldn't use it, and a few-years-newer WinTV FM
> that could.

    That's one of the reasons I suggested getting a more modern card. They
present a nicely packaged stream with everything in it and also do some
useful compression. It's all tied up in a single package and you don't have
to futz with it afterwards

    At this point a BT848 seems like a lot of extra work and complexity that
just isn't needed any more. (and hasn't been needed for quite a long time).