[mythtv-users] Record sound using a BT848 card

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Nov 28 00:54:14 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 01:30:54PM -0600, Joe Henley wrote:
> >The older TV can display the higher res recordings. You just need
> >a sufficiently powerful frontend to handle the decoding. Any cheap ION
> >box is more than adequate for this.
> Really?  The FE in question has a 2.4 GHz P4.  If I feed HD thru to
> the TV, it displays garbage.  Jumpy, torn, scrolling garbage image;
> sound is similar.  Do you know of a way to feed HD to a std def TV
> successfully?

    Use a faster CPU or a better video card.

    Decoding is the really hard part.

    Someone else suggested an nv8400 these are cheap and adequate to
the purpose. My first VDPAU card was an nv8400. My current Myth boxes
run a variety of GPUs including nv9400, nv218 & nv430. These all handle
BluRays and HD-PVR recordings quite well.