[mythtv-users] Record sound using a BT848 card

Joe Henley joehenley at kc.rr.com
Tue Nov 27 04:45:53 UTC 2012

> Why? Is the frontend by the treadmill not powerful enough for the HDPVR
> stuff? If that's the case consider a VDPAU card with s-video or composite
> out (you'd be looking at an 8400 or thereabouts card). Must be better
> than
> recording everything twice.
>
> Alternatively transcode your HDPVR recordings to something the treadmill
> frontend can play back?
Nick,

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, the FE by the treadmill is very limited.
And I don't want to spend any money (eg., new video card) on something
which will soon/eventually die.  What I have for a FE works just fine
for Std def and the TV is std def.  They do, and have, worked fine for
my needs.

The issue is the BE.  I have an IVTV based PVR-350 which used to provide
std def for the FE/TV pairing above.  And it provided the audio info to
the recording data.  But there is a problem with the IVTV drivers in
Myth version I use (0.25.2) which results in random occurrences of
tearing of the top 15 to 20% of the screen.  Lots of damage to the WAF.

There is a patch floating around which "might" fix the problem --- as
soon as someone on the development team for ivtv drivers looks at/fixes
it.  Looked at the date of the last update to that driver?  I ain't
holding my breath.  They have lots of issues to work on with currently
popular/selling hardware, I doubt the older 150/250/350/500 series
drivers will get much love for awhile.

So I pulled the 350 from the BE and stuck the BT848 in its place.  I
(IIRC) think it worked fine several years ago, but I can't remember or
find out how to do it anymore.  Actually the question is probably more
about the audio stuff anyway.  So I still am hoping someone who still
uses a BT848 card, or remembers how its done, can offer some help.

Joe Henley

PS:  Yes, I could transcode stuff from the HD-PVR.  But that still
leaves me with the (admittedly few) simultaneous recording needs.  Right
now there are two cases each week where the HD-PVR is recording
something in HD and the BT848 or PVR-350 needs to be recording something
else in SD.