[mythtv-users] What major features are planned for 0.27?

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 17:35:47 UTC 2012

On 25 Nov 2012, at 14:43, Simon Hobson wrote:

> Dean wrote:
>
>> **** And, yes, I really mean "VCR" buttons, and not DVR buttons. IMHO, fast forward and rewind are only actions performed by people who are thinking in VCR terms.  DVRs are random-access, so there's no need to fast forward, and I can't think of a situation where you'd get a benefit from fast forwarding versus just skipping some appropriate-for-what-you're-skipping amount.
>
> +1 to that. I don't use FF/RW at all - I only ever use the jump keys.
>
> BTW - this may sound a daft (or at least basic) question ...
>
> I'm running Mythbuntu with 0.24. I've found where to setup keys, but most of the keys on the remote don't seem to do anything - as in, I get to the dialog that says "Press the key you want to assign" (or something like that), but most of the keys on the remote don't cause any response.

This is exactly what I see on mine. However all other applications respond to most of the keys that Myth ignores (e.g. Play, Pause, etc)

> Does this mean, as Mark has been suggesting, that I need to install and configure LIRC before the rest of these keys will work ?

Probably, yes.

> If so, then I see this as more of a system issue (it's not processing/mapping most of the codes it receives) rather than a Myth issue. I don't think it's fair to blame Myth for ignoring events it isn't told about.

Well, as far as I can tell, myth is being told about them but it doesn't understand them (as evidenced by them working in other applications). You need to set up LIRC and remap those buttons from e.g. KEY_PLAY (or whatever) to KEY_P, or whatever myth uses.

Mark