[mythtv-users] What major features are planned for 0.27?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Nov 24 03:37:34 UTC 2012

On 11/23/2012 10:02 PM, Preston Crow wrote:
> On 11/23/12 21:58, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 11/21/2012 10:10 AM, Mark Greenwood wrote:
>>> One thing that could be contributed though, and I don't know how
>>> easy/hard this would be but with pointers I'd be prepared to look into
>>> it, would be to make mythtv understand the multimedia keycodes sent by
>>> IR remotes that are handled by the kernel's devinput interface (eg
>>> KEY_PLAY, KEY_FASTFORWARD etc). Xbmc understands these natively and
>>> means I didn't have to go through the trauma of setting up lirc.
>>
>> Pretty sure you just need to use mythfrontend's Edit Keys to set what
>> you want each to do.
>
> Yes, but the point is that this is something that should just work
> without doing anything.  There should be good default settings for all
> those keycodes already.  (This hasn't impacted me, but it sounds like
> a simple and obvious improvement.)

Of course, you do understand that there are both TV Playback|PLAY, and
TV Playback|PAUSE (which is toggle play/pause).

It's neither simple, nor obvious, to me which one the play button on
Mark's remote should send...  And the play button is the simplest of the
multimedia ones...  Does fast forward do a Global|RIGHT or TV
Playback|SEEKFFWD or TV Playback|FFWDSTICKY or even TV Playback|JUMPFFWD?

It's easy enough deciding which keys on a keyboard do what--because the
user has them all available and can just hit the ones he wants.  With a
remote, though--where remotes don't even have standard layouts, let
alone number and type of buttons--a "default for all remotes" mapping
makes little sense.

That said, once I finish the key binding "themes" patch (coming along
with the overloaded key bindings fix), it will allow you all to decide
what keys do what (and share those mappings with others).

Mike