[mythtv-users] lossless cut and audio sync drift?

Doug Vaughan r.d.vaughan at rogers.com
Fri Nov 23 12:37:54 UTC 2012

Ian,
     I have, but rarely, noticed some audio drift. I am fairly sure, as
so many of the other issues are, that mkvmerge finds some problem with
the original recorded mpg file. Here is a reference to mkvmerge
parameters that you can use from the commandline on an out of sync mkv
file post lossless cut.

From: https://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/doc/mkvmerge.html

Some movies start synced correctly but slowly drift out of sync. For
these kind of movies you can specify a delay factor that is applied to
all timestamps -- no data is added or removed. So if you make that
factor too big or too small you'll get bad results. An example is that
an episode I transcoded was 0.2 seconds out of sync at the end of the
movie which was 77340 frames long. At 29.97fps 0.2 seconds correspond to
approx. 6 frames. So I did:

$ mkvmerge -o goodsync.mkv -y 23456:0,77346/77340 outofsync.mkv

I hope this helps.

Doug