[mythtv-users] Auto-started Mythbackend = Remote Mythfrontend connection failure

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 03:46:18 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Darethehair <darethehair at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>>  This one is extremely subtle, and all my sleuthing skills have not
>>> helped me so far
>>>
>>> Running 0.25 on a fresh LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) server. Local
>>> Backend/frontend work fine, and remote frontend also now works fine.
>>> Noticed that install has set up automatic start for mysql/mythtv-backend
>>> (verified by 'chkconfig') and scripts in '/etc/init.d'.
>>>
>>> However, upon rebooting, noticed that the remote frontend was no longer
>>> able to connect to the backend, with non-helpful messages:
>>>
>>>  Code:
>>>
>>> I  MythCoreContext: Connecting to backend server: 192.168.1.101:6543 (try 1 of 1)
>>> E  Connection to master server timed out.
>>> 			Either the server is down or the master server settings
>>> 			in mythtv-settings does not contain the proper IP address
>>>

>>> Oddly, a remote 'mysql' connect still works, right owner is running the
>>> processes, correct ports are open (verified by 'nmap'), so what is the
>>> problem?
>>>
>>> If I then *manually* restart mythbackend via the command line:
>>>
>>>  sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend restart
>>>
>>>  ...then the remove frontend starts working again!
>>>
>>> I have done a lot of Googling, but the problems I see only have to do
>>> with *failures* of an auto-started backend -- in my case, the backend
>>> starts up (mostly) fine.
>>>
>>> Why would an auto-started backend not work with a remote frontend, but a
>>> manually-started one does? If this some subtle timing issue?
>>>
>>> Help would be appreciated!
>>>

>> To diagnose a timing issue, could you add a delay (60 seconds?) to the
>> init.d script? The thing that comes to mind is a possible networking issue
>> (binding to the wrong interface or something?)
>>
>> Karl

> If I recall correctly (wagnerrp will correct me if I'm wrong :) ), if the
> backend starts before networking is up, it will only listen on localhost
> (and won't check again if other interfaces come up). So a delay in the
> script should fix this (or having it depend on eth0 which IMO is better).

Isn't this a job that some developer should undertake, ie the debian/ubuntu
init script should wait on the appropriate network device being up?

Perhaps it needs to be configurable on the installation of the mythbackend
package, asking the user which networking interface the backend will be
listening on?