[mythtv-users] Autoplay subtitles?

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 20:03:37 UTC 2012

On Saturday 10 Nov 2012 11:38:24 Jim Stichnoth wrote:

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Mark Greenwood <fatgerman at gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks. So there's no way to enable it just for videos? Having the closed captioning on all the time for TV just moves the problem to a different place :) I notice the video player plays forced subtitles automatically - does anybody know of a way to make an srt file into 'forced' subtitles?

Forced subtitles are an interesting idea.  If I recall correctly, only DVD video and mkv files are checked for forced subtitles.  Maybe you could mux the video and the srt file into an mkv with a forced subtitle track.

Great minds think alike :) I just tried that exact idea - I used the mkvmerge GUI to merge an avi and an srt file into an MKV. I did set the forced flag for the subtitle track but no joy, I still have to switch the subtitles on using the menu. It plays fine in mplayer, using the 'forced subtitles only' option. Maybe I did the merging wrong - does mythtv need some other flag to be set as well?

Mark

Jim