[mythtv-users] MythTV does not handle daylight savings properly

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Nov 6 23:29:37 UTC 2012

On 11/05/2012 05:12 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Michael Watson wrote:
>> People generally think of time, as it is in there current time zone.  Given
>> that most Myth Installations are not portable, there is no reason a User
>> should be confronted by UTC Times at any time.
> For the non-power rule user, they do not.  As Mike Dean said, power
> rule users need to know much more, and timezone conversions are
> now part of that required knowledge, and like a lot of other things, will
> probably become automatic, and something you do not think about,
> after a short period of time of using the convert functions.
>
> Personally, I just run all the devices I can on UTC (including my
> watch, mobile phone, clocks on wall, in the vehicle).  It takes but
> a moment to do the math in my head to subtract the 7/8 hours
> needed to respond to someone who actually insists on local time.

Not only have I been saying that we need to get rid of DST across the
US, I would also love to get rid of time zones and have the entire world
use UTC in their daily lives.  I'd have no problem whatsoever having
breakfast at noon and lunch at 5pm and dinner at midnight, nor putting
in a grueling day of work from 2pm to 10pm.  Unfortunately, it seems I
have to convince most everyone else in the world.  The only reason
people think that noon is lunchtime is because that's what they're used
to--but if they grew up having lunch at 5pm...

Mike