[mythtv-users] Sometimes mythfrontend freezes when internal player is put on pause

Andrey Zhunev a-j at a-j.ru
Fri Nov 2 17:25:14 UTC 2012

Hello All,

  My wife is mostly using MythTV to watch shows / movies in .avi
  format (not recorded programs). She often puts these movies on
  pause when she needs to go somewhere or do something away from the
  TV. So the most common usage scenario is internal player playing
  back an external (not made by MythTV) files and often put on pause.

  The issue is that sometimes after putting a movie on pause
  mythfrontend just freezes.  It does not respond to keyboard
  commands, so resuming or exiting the playback is not possible.
  The only way out that I found is to kill mythfrontend and restart
  it (I do it via irexec).

  The freezes do not happen all the time, but maybe in 20-30% of the
  cases. Sometimes it may happen several times in a row, and sometimes
  it can pause/unpause just fine 20-30 times without any issues.

  I never experienced such a freeze in LiveTV mode or while watching
  shows recorded by MythTV (using DVB-S). But we use Myth much more
  often to watch external files, so I can't say for sure if LiveTV /
  Recorded Programs are free from this issue.

  The strangest thing is that I see no error messages in mythtv log
  when a freeze happens. Nothing unusual at all. These are the last
  messages in the log file  of a frozen mythfrontend process
  (I used '-v playback' ):

2012-11-02 20:59:13.853978 I [16602/16602] CoreContext tv_play.cpp:7609 (UpdateOSDSeekMessage) - UpdateOSDSeekMessage(Paused, 0)
2012-11-02 20:59:13.854671 I [16602/16602] CoreContext mythplayer.cpp:3451 (ChangeSpeed) - Player(0): Play speed: rate: 23.976 speed: 0 skip: 0 => new interval 41708
2012-11-02 20:59:13.896491 I [16602/16602] CoreContext videoout_vdpau.cpp:826 (UpdatePauseFrame) - VidOutVDPAU: UpdatePauseFrame() UULuUUAUUUUUUu

  I'm running CentOS 6.3 64-bit, an NVidia GT220 video (using VDPAU
  and NVidia proprietary drivers) and a self-compiled mythtv 0.26 with
  majority of dependencies installed from atrpms repository.

  I had this behavior in 0.25, too. I was hoping that it's some minor
  glitch that will be fixed with one of the updates. But since there
  are no discussions of this issue, I guess it may be exclusive to
  my setup only. So I would appreciate any hints on how to track it...

  # mythfrontend --version
Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
MythTV Version : v0.26.0-2-ga49c750
MythTV Branch : fixes/0.26
Network Protocol : 75
Library API : 0.26.20120822-1
QT Version : 4.6.2
Options compiled in:
 linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_jack using_oss
 using_pulse using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl
 using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_dvb using_frontend
 using_iptv using_ivtv using_libcrypto using_libudf using_lirc
 using_mheg using_opengl_video using_qtwebkit using_qtscript
 using_qtdbus using_v4l2 using_v4l1 using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv
 using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php
 using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vaapi using_vdpau
 using_ffmpeg_threads using_live using_mheg using_libass using_libudf

Best regards,

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list