[mythtv-users] --logfile vs. --logpath
R. G. Newbury
newbury at mandamus.org
Sat May 19 03:11:43 UTC 2012
On 05/18/2012 01:40 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/18/2012 01:35 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> On 05/18/2012 12:53 PM, Gavin Hurlbut wrote:
>>> The value is for debugging and diagnosis of issues. Without the logs
>>> you can not get any support at all. Disk space is cheap. Just prune
>>> them out every few days or so and they will stay under control just
>>> fine.
>>>
>>> If you delete the files every minute, you are likely to mess things up.
>>> I, for one, will not even attempt to support a system with that setup.
>>>
>>
>> OK, so I will set the cron to delete them every hour or so..
>
> Still seems like overkill. Are you really concerned about using a couple
> megabytes of HDD space in a day (and even a couple megabytes/day is
> quite a lot for mythpreviewgen)?
>
>> And turn off the cron job if I need to debug anything.
>> But I have never had a problem with preview generation.
>
> If you really do have a problem with it, you can use syslog logging, and
> just tell your syslog logger to throw away all mythpreviewgen log
> output. That said, I'm guessing there are other issues on your MythTV
> computers that deserve more attention than complete eradication of
> mythpreviewgen log files... ;)
Well I will end up doing something. ATM the logging scheme seems to me
to be disfunctional. I'm going to have to read the wiki and play with
the settings. Try logrotate, or syslog or cron.
Myth now seems to spew logging files. I changed the loglevel to crit, in
an attempt to reduce the output, but now the files don't report much of
anything.
Uptime is 49 days, I have about a dozen backend logfiles all dated April
29 and nothing after that. I have 4 frontend files dated April 29 and
one dated May 3 and nothing after that. loglevel at crit may be too high.
I liked the old logfile scheme: one process one file.
Geoff
More information about the mythtv-users
mailing list