[mythtv-users] Lossless Transcode 0.25

Scott & Nicole Harris snharris99 at live.com
Sat Mar 31 16:52:23 UTC 2012

>>>OK, here's what we got.  I tried playing a post transcode damaged file
>>>with
>>>VLC (on Ubuntu and Windows).  Where in Myth playback, there would be a 1
>>>second flash of purple lines, in VLC, it just stuttered all over itself
>>>at
>>>those points.  More accurately, in Myth playback playcback is [fade to
>>>commercial] -> [purple bars where lossless transcode took the commercial
>>>out] -> [show picks up at cut point].  In VLC, it was [fade to
>>>commerical] -> [5 - 6 seconds of black screen] -> [3 or 4 seconds of
>>>stuttering audio and video before finally "catching" itself about 10
>>>seconds
>>>into the next scene of the show].

>>>I then used mkvtoolnix and multiplexed it as requested.  When I played
>>>that
>>>file back in VLC, it displayed the purple lines like Myth playback does.

>>>mkvtoolnix als had some warnings while doing its thing....
>>> --SNIP --

>>>Now, one other thing I've noticed.  The purple lines every 50 seconds is
>>>not
>>>as consistent as the purple lines at every removed cutpoint (which is
>>>100%
>>>of the time) across recordings.   Some files have no 50 second purple and
>>>some have it every 50 seconds, and it SEEMS (I can't 100% confirm this
>>>yet)
>>>that 720p recordings have it every 50 seconds and 1080i recordings do
>>>not;
>>>again both have them 100% of the time at removed cut points.

>>The more I go through my 0.25 trancoded files past couple days, it's
>>becoming pretty clear that it's the 720p programs (all of them) that are
>>the
>>only ones affected with the purple line every 50 seconds....and it really
>>is
>>50 seconds, almost to the tick.  The 1080i's only have it at cut points

>I think I have narrowed it down to a Mythbuntu 11.04 thing.  My SBE still
>runs 10.04 and used to do all my transcoding, so I have it transcode a file
>rather than the MBE which I upgraded to 11.04 on the weekend and no purple
>lines.  I believe I will be downgrading the MBE to 10.04 next weekend.  I
>am
>assuming the ffmpeg libraries 11.04 uses are not like by mythranscode,
>though this is just a guess.

I did a fresh install of Mythbuntu 10.04 on my MBE this morning, brought it
up to current with the Mythubuntu 0.25 repos and transcoded 17 recordings.
Every single one of them is flawless (at least in the trouble areas that I
checked).  I think it's safe to say it is a Mythbuntu 11.10 issue, not a
MythTV issue.