[mythtv-users] How to configure a HVR-1300 for analog TV

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Sat Mar 31 10:32:28 UTC 2012

On 03/28/2012 11:04 PM, Tony Sauri wrote:

> Now the final piece to keep in mind is that there is only 1 tuner on the card
> that is shared by both /dev/video0 and /dev/video1 (and by the DVB-T device
> too).  So obviously the tuner is single threaded and you should not try to
> use it in two devices at the same time.
> So yes you should consider he /dev/video0 and /dev/video1 devices as
> completely independant.

> I would of thought that all cable suppliers would have gone to encrypted
> streams requiring a STB by now.

That's basically the reason I go with analogue at all, as I'm not OK
with those business practices.

> This may mean some interference / signal degradation introduced by the
> splitter ... you may have to eventually replace the splitter with an
> amplified splitter.

Thanks, will investigate later.

> On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 08:14, Nick Rout wrote:
>> forget video0, you really don't want the uncompressed video.
> I fully agree with this and think you should delete the /dev/video0 card

I tried unloading the kernel module, but c88_blackbird requires cx8800.
After deleting the V4L card entry, I tried configuring the IVTV device
as video0, but that makes myth-frontend die on trying to watch-tv.

Now with nothing about the drivers changed, a single IVTV capture card
configured in the backend at video1, watch-tv does work, somewhat!

That is, the initial channel does work, with reasonable picture quality
and audio, but:
- the audio stream is down-sampled somehow (as if it was played back
with a too slow rate, only that the tempo seemed right).
- channel switching does not work. if i try via arrow keys up/down,
enter, the screen goes black and the frontend freezes, until it is
restarted sometime later

Any ideas on that?

Many thanks for clearing up matters to this point!

Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: