[mythtv-users] Upgrading from pre-0.22 MythTV versions

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Fri Mar 30 03:09:47 UTC 2012

    > Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 09:38:07 +0100
    > From: Andre <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk>

    > On 29 Mar 2012, at 05:20, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
    > >
    > > P.S.  I'm also still trying to determine if I can -guarantee- that
    > > any 0.24 version -will not- attempt to upgrade a random older Myth it
    > > happens to see on the network, no matter whether I'm running its
    > > backend, frontend, setup, etc, and maybe even if it's not the very
    > > latest 0.24-fixes [because who knows what version I might wind up
    > > getting], and if not, which ports should I firewall so I can test
    > > safely?  I want to be able to run 0.24-fixes, and later 0.25, for
    > > quite time to to test everything, while my much older production myth
    > > is online and operating.  Tnx.

    > I was caught out by this when testing a 0.24 system in parallel to
    > my 0.23 one! Fortunately I was able to restore the db from backup
    > before any important recordings were missed.

    > While different subnets is the safest approach that's not often
    > practical, I have firewalled the mysql 3306 port on my live system
    > from my test system and set a different mysql password for belt
    > and braces peace of mind.

For some reason, I was assuming that upgrades might happen where a
frontend (or mythtv-setup) talked to (the wrong) backend and then told
the (wrong) backend what to do to upgrade the schema, rather than
using a direct connection to the DB.  In that case, the (wrong)
backend already knows the password and hence can corrupt the
production DB.  Is this impossible?

In any event, setting a different password for the two DBs does
sound like a logical safety precaution, but knowing either that
0.24-fixes can't do this on its own, or what to firewall, would
be better.  I may just kill everything but ssh and see.