[mythtv-users] Upgrading from pre-0.22 MythTV versions

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Fri Mar 30 03:06:37 UTC 2012

    > Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 20:05:56 +1300
    > From: Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com>

    > I suppose you mean .deb not .rpm

Yes; slip of the fingers.

    > You can look at the packages here
    > http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/0.24/ubuntu/pool/main/m/mythtv/ and
    > as at posting the latest available there is
    > 0.24.2-fixes.20120316-322de47 - in oter words as at 16 March. My
    > understanding is that they build whenever there is a commit (but no
    > more than once a day)

Aha!  That's what I needed to know.  Tnx!

    > I suspect the desktop cycle rather than the server.

That'd be my guess, too, except for their "until the next LTS
available to you" business, would would be only -two- years
because the next LTS comes out this month.  Nonetheless, since
apparently their current-LTS 0.24-fixes is up-to-date, I can
at worst use that.

    > No you need something 0.22 or greater for 0.25 to be able to update
    > your database. You can update to basically any version that is 0.22 or
    > +  to get a database that will enable you to update to 0.25.

...although, apparently, certain versions of other packages will
require Mike's fix, and in any event, I'd rather do the update using
the most up-to-date (hence most bugfixed) schema conversions I can.
But if I can get a modern 0.24-fixes and upgrade all the way there,
then I can then do the rest in 0.25, and that at least looks achievable.
What people in other distros will do, especially if they discover this
a while from now, is another question.  ["Install MythBuntu, then
switch back to your distro" would work but no doubt be really
irritating.]

    > Not sure, accidents can happen, but maybe maintaining two subnets is
    > the way to go.

I may, but it'd be good to know; it's annoying to have to set up and
if 0.24-fixes is trustable, an unnecessary complexity.

    > If you properly set what backend your frontend connects to this should
    > not happen. Of course a database backup fixes it anyway. You _do_ know
    > about the official backup and restore scripts - refer to the wiki :)

My production server predates those scripts, but yes, I've been
backing up since before they existed.  The issue here is that the
master records virtually all the time.  Even with backups, things
currently recording are likely to be disrupted (if nothing else, DB
locks will mean that recordedmarkup will be locked, leading to
corruption from the writing thread), and anything back to the last
backup will lose its data.  I'd rather do it right than have to pick
up the pieces from a backup.