[mythtv-users] .25 - "Maximum buffer size exceeded"

Phil Bridges gravityhammer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 02:32:18 UTC 2012

I noticed that I had the mysterious "yellow dots" beside some of my
recordings this evening.  At second glance, I realized that the two
shows I was recording at 9PM had two files.  Not good.  One of the
shows was split into two halves, approximately 30 minutes each.  The
other though, had only about 11 minutes in it's first half.

I looked at the log, and found this:

2012-03-29 21:12:30.800845 E [7151/23462] HDHRStreamHandler
ThreadedFileWriter.cpp:216 (Write) -
TFW(/mnt/recordings2/1461_20120329210000.mpg:99): Maximum buffer size
exceeded.
                        file will be truncated, no further writing will be done.
                        This generally indicates your disk performance
                        is insufficient to deal with the number of on-going
                        recordings, or you have a disk failure.

It also appeared that mythbackend restarted at the bottom of the hour
- at least, there was a new logfile generated.

I was only recording two shows at the time, and I have plenty of space
on each of my recording mountpoints (this was recorded to a local
drive).  Any tips at how to further troubleshoot the issue?