[mythtv-users] Error: MythTV is using all inputs but there are no active recordings?

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Thu Mar 29 04:49:54 UTC 2012

    > Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 21:39:22 -0400
    > From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>

    > Right.  But, again, there's little reason with current MythTV not to put
    > recordings (TV and/or movies) into Video Library.  MythVideo used to be
    > good primarily for movies and non-TV video, but now it (or, technically
    > the Video Library, since it was moved into MythTV core) excels at
    > handling TV.  I think more than anything, we just need to get more
    > people to give it a try, again, and see that it's not your father's
    > MythVideo.

    > A friend of mine who uses MythTV wanted to add some videos to Watch
    > Recordings so his kids' shows were all together (whether they were the
    > ones he recorded or ones he'd bought on DVD).  I explained the idea and
    > reasoning behind going the other way--moving his recordings of kids'
    > shows to Video Library along with the DVD rips--and he tried it out and
    > has several times mentioned how much better this works than Watch
    > Recordings did.  And it allows him to organize the videos in hierarchies
    > (by disabling flat view) however he likes and switch between "groups"
    > without MENU|Change Group Filter by just using the arrows to navigate.
    > He's now convinced that Video Library is the place for long-term
    > archival of videos, and especially for large libraries of video.  (And
    > he's still moving new recordings over to Video Library--basically
    > anything he plans to keep rather than watch and delete.)  I would be
    > doing the same, but I don't archive anything--just watch and delete.

Can you provide (or point us to) an explanation of where you think
Video Library is going?  Right now, I don't have a good sense of
why Watch Recordings would even be its own separate interface---
if Video Library provides superior organization, why does (or will)
WR exist at all?  It seems like it would just be a different UI
presentation of the very same data.  Am I misunderstanding it?

Is any data or metadata lost when moving something from WR to VL?
Does Myth forget in any way that it's recorded the showing, or does it
forget metadata like who's in it or its original airdate or whatever?
Do recordings in VL consuem fewer DB resources (for those with big
DB's), or is there less per-recording schema updating work when
upgrading MythTV?  Is stuff in VL still commflag-skippable if
it hasn't actually been cut?  Etc.

Put another way, is there any reason not to automatically move
-everything- from WR to VL if VL is (or will be) so good?  Right now,
it seems like there's an artificial separation; this made sense back
when MythVideo was "the place to put things that didn't come in
through a capture card" or "the place to rescue your orphaned
meta-data-less recording", but given what you say above, are WR and VL
not the same thing just because they haven't been fully merged yet?

One reason I ask is because I will at some point have a very large
migration from old Myth to 0.25, and one question might be whether
everything archived should then immediately go into VL, leaving WR
empty except for recordings-currently-in-progress...

Thanks.