[mythtv-users] Ceton InfiniTV 4 USB - $170 from newegg.com

GZ gzornetzer.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 20:44:57 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 6:32 AM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
> Has anyone had any experience with the USB version? I haven't yet
> heard from anyone who has one, so I don't know if my code has ever
> been tested with it. From what I understand, it should work just the
> same, but I can't be certain.

I've held off on buying this because Ceton hadn't released linux
drivers for the USB device.  However, it now appears that they have,
at least in beta for usb.  Take a look at
http://cetoncorp.com/infinitv_support/linux_drivers/
It's a user-space USB driver that requires libgusb.  I'm hoping that
it exposes the same network device that the PCIe driver does.  Having
said that, I'm tempted to try it out.
Their additional test code seems to use the RTSP method - Ron, isn't
that slightly different from the way that you implemented it?  It is
worth noting, though, that the firmware image seems to be in common
between the PCIe and the USB devices, so what works with PCIe will
hopefully work with the USB version also.
I think that I might take the plunge on this.