[mythtv-users] Time for a fresh install? / Advice Required

Ian Jackson prosonik at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 17:24:15 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'm looking for some guidance on working some kinks out of my system. I've
been a user of Mythtv for around 8 years without alot of issue, but I'm
started to see a lag related problems.  I think I'm either pushing it too
hard, or have it misconfigured. On all machines, I experience frame drops,
and out of sync on HD programming. Mythweb flash is fairly useless unless
no other recodings are taking place. On the playbook, I get about 5 mins
in, and the records usually stops and buffers. In all cases, the fix right
now is to kill all recordings and jobs on the slave and master backends.
I'm looking for guidance on either to reinstall the current software from
scratch, mix up the hardware or purchase additional beefier hardware.

Currently I'm using the following configuration:
-Master backend/Family room Frontend: Phenom 7850 / Nvidia 520 / 4 gigs of
ram  / 60 Gig SSD / 750 gig HD / 11.04 with mythbuntu repo's installed .24.2
-Slave backend: Athlon 5200 / 4 gigs of ram / pvr 250 / hauppauge 1250 / 60
Gig SSD / 4 TB Raid 0 Storage / 11.04 with mythbuntu repo's installed .24.2
-Bedroom Frontend: Dell Laptop / Intel Gfx / 4 gigs of ram / 130GB HD
-ATV2: Xbmc (Only good for SD?)
-Blackberry playbook: Using mythweb.

On the slave back-end, I also have calibre, subsonic, teamviewer, rokuwiki
and transmission installed. I do NOT have any storage groups setup. I'm
wondering if that's where i should start. I also have a job scheduled on
the Master back-end and slave back-end to encode the records to .mp4 using
handbrake to serve to the ATV2, but I end up killing the jobs before they
are done, so the tv on any of the front-ends is actually watchable. The
filesystem is shared from the slave backend using NFS. On the
master-frontend, I use virtualbox to serve itunes.

The whole mess is connected using a wired network, using newish dlink
powerline dhp-306av adapters. According ippref, I'm seeing about 50 Mbits/s
with .00037% jitter, between the master and slave backend.

My goals according to priority

1. Watch OTA on all pc's using mythfrontend
2. Watch Recordings via Mythweb
3. View .RAW Photos on any frontend, easily. (High WAF)
4. Serve itunes to the household
5. Provide filesharing / centralized backup
6. Watch movies / online content using XBMC / Mythvideo (don't care which,
i used to use boxee)
7. Serve books using calibre
8. Serve up movies/music remotely using subsonic
9. Transcode recordings for the ATV2 / Playbook. Overnight
is acceptable waiting period, as long as it doesn't limit tv watching in
the evening.
10. Manage downloads
11.Zoneminder / Home automation (Not setup)

I'd love any feedback, hints on where to start to cleanup this mess. I'm
willing to spend around $400, if the hardware isn't going to cut it.

Ian