[mythtv-users] Retiring slave backend / migrating recordings to master ?

Tom Flair lists at graniteskies.net
Tue Mar 27 19:08:43 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>wrote:

> On 3/27/2012 14:12, Tom Flair wrote:
>
>> I *really* don't want transfer the data over the network or even doing an
>> rsync to the array on the MBE.
>>

> Why not?  You're more likely to be bottle-necked on your disks and
> filesystem than your network.  I was running ~60MB/s last night shuffling
> some recordings from my MBE to drives on a SBE last night.  Just run one
> command, and go do something else for several hours.

Because it takes ~20 minutes to power down the MBE/SBE, physically migrate
the drives, power up the MBE versus several hours of migrating the data
over the network.  :)

 As I understand it, I should be able to migrate the existing drives and
>> set them up as another storage pool for recordings.  Based on the hashes
>> for the recordings, the MBE should pick up that the previously remote
>> recordings on the SBE are now on the MBE and all should be good.
>>

> You can add folders on the transferred drives as new storage directories,
> and MythTV will use them as the disk scheduler sees fit, however your old
> content will be unavailable.  Recordings are tagged to a specific hostname
> in the database.  The hashes you are referring to are only used by the
> Video Library and its file scanner.  I don't know of any "proper" way to
> migrate videos from one host to another besides a simple...

Ah, thanks for that.  I was thinking the hashes applied universally.

> UPDATE recorded SET hostname="new_host" WHERE hostname="old_host";

I'll give that a shot.  If worse comes to worse, I can always restore from
a nightly backup, export the stuff to MythVideo and call it a wash.

This is why I asked first before just leaping in headfirst then wondering
what broke.  :)