[mythtv-users] Preferred method for remote access?

Zarthan South zarthan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 18:02:00 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Mark Boyum <circushair at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 8:07 AM, Bob Long <bob at oblong.com.au> wrote:
> > William Uther wrote,
> >

> >>   What is the currently preferred method for remote access to a mythtv
> >> box?  I'm specifically after a solution for this use case:
> >>
> >>   I'm out of an evening, and the SO says 'did you remember to record
> >> *insert favourite show here*'?  (There will be no comment on why this
> is my
> >> job.)
> >>   Having forgotten to mark it for recording, I pull out my phone to so
> >> mark it.  I use connectBot to set up a secure connection to my mythtv
> >> server, and then I ...
> >

> > [snip]
> >

> >> So, what is the currently preferred method for remote access to a mythtv
> >> box?  Is mythweb fixed (it has been a few years since I used that
> solution)?
> >>  Is there another option?
> >

> > I don't know what problems Mythweb may have had, but I successfully use
> it
> > on a 0.21 system.
> >
> > --
> > Bob Long
> >

> I do not recall how it is done but I set mythweb to display the
> desktop version on my phone.  It has worked quite well in exactly the
> scenario you laid out.
> -Mark

Mythweb works extremely well and should allow the SO to do it themselves.
My SO loves the mythweb interface over over TIVO. If you still want to do
the deed then you can set up your home router to forward port 80 to the
mythtv backend mythweb box. I would set a password on mythweb if you are
going to use it remotely. http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Securing_MythWeb