[mythtv-users] Preferred method for remote access?

Tue Mar 27 11:17:38 UTC 2012

Hi,
  What is the currently preferred method for remote access to a mythtv box?  I'm specifically after a solution for this use case:

  I'm out of an evening, and the SO says 'did you remember to record *insert favourite show here*'?  (There will be no comment on why this is my job.)
  Having forgotten to mark it for recording, I pull out my phone to so mark it.  I use connectBot to set up a secure connection to my mythtv server, and then I ...

  i) use a command line tool to find the list of shows and mark the offending show for recording, or
  ii) use a web browser on my phone to connect to mythweb over a tunnel, find the list of shows and mark the offending show for recording, or
  iii) use a vnc client on my phone to connect to the server over a tunnel, find the show using the mythtv interface, and mark the offending show for recording, or
  iv) do something else I haven't thought of.

But there are some problems:

  i) is not possible because AFAIK there are no command line tools for controlling mythtv.  Mythtv-status is nice for seeing what will record, but doesn't change things.
  ii) was my preferred solution for a while.  Then I had a problem where I kept fighting with mythweb about whether I wanted the mobile display or not.  If I accessed mythweb with my phone then I got the mobile display and it stupidly remembered that setting when I next tried to access it from work on a full-sized browser.  The only way to reset that was to do some complex session resetting magic.  I stopped using mythweb.  Things may have improved since then.
  iii) This was my solution after mythweb.  I just upgraded my mythtv box to ubuntu 11.10 though and x11vnc doesn't seem to be serving mythtv very well.  It keeps missing changes, and -noxdamage doesn't seem to help.
  iv) I haven't thought of this yet. :p

So, what is the currently preferred method for remote access to a mythtv box?  Is mythweb fixed (it has been a few years since I used that solution)?  Is there another option?

Cheers,

Will         :-}