[mythtv-users] Error: MythTV is using all inputs but there are no active recordings?

Tapani Tarvainen mythtv at tapanitarvainen.fi
Tue Mar 27 03:58:23 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 09:30:58PM -0400, Michael T. Dean (mtdean at thirdcontact.com) wrote:

> Glad to see you got things working (when you realized there were
> permissions issues accessing the capture devices), but I thought I'd
> respond to some of the points in here

Thank you for very helpful comments. A few points:

> The only supported place to add shows to MythTV is in the Video
> Library. MythTV Recordings section is for recordings done by MythTV.

OK. In particular this means there's no (supported) way of
merging two backends (combining their recordings),
other than moving recordings from one into Video library
of the other, if I understand correctly.

> Note, also, that since the Video Library is an excellent
> location to archive shows long term
[...]
> I think most people move recordings using
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythvidexport.py .

Thanks. I'll take a look at that.

> The database backup is something configured by your distro.  The
> reason MythTV doesn't do it internally (as it has all the code it
> needs to do it internally--and has for a few versions, now), is
> because performing a database backup while MythTV is busy doing
> something else may break that something else (generally due to I/O
> or database locking issues causing, for example, us to be unable to
> write all the data for a recording).

Yes, I noticed that in the mythconverg_backup.pl script comments
(and remembered again why I don't like mysql)

> That said, if your weekly job isn't causing issues, then chances are
> a daily job won't cause issues--unless it happens to be triggered at
> an especially-busy time on one of those other days.  If you know
> when your cron.daily is run and you know it's not a busy recording
> time, you'll probably be ok doing a daily backup.

Yes (in Ubuntu it runs cron.daily at 6:25 in the morning,
which is pretty safe time for me).
But if I get around to setting up automatic shutdown/wakeup,
doing db backup during shutdown (after stopping the backend)
would probably be the safest way.

--
Tapani Tarvainen